Keynote speaker: Francisco Migoya
Your Keynote Speaker
Pizza has never been more popular than it is today, but just how did this simple food become such a cultural phenomenon, capturing not just the hearts and stomachs of North Americans and Italians, but folks around the globe? Join head chef and co-author of Modernist Pizza Francisco Migoya for a talk on how pizza became one of the world’s most popular foods, and learn some techniques developed while writing Modernist Pizza that you can use to improve and innovate your pizzas today!
Francisco Migoya is the Modernist Cuisine head chef and co-author of Modernist Bread (2017), and Modernist Pizza (2021). Modernist Bread has won many awards, including the James Beard Foundation, International Association of Culinary Professionals and Gourmand cookbook awards. Together with Nathan Myhrvold, he directs culinary research, including the development of new techniques and recipes.
Chef Migoya has been recognized as a top U.S. pastry chef and chocolatier, with accolades that include the Medal of Master Artisan Pastry Chef (2013) from Gremi de Pastisseria de Barcelona. Migoya owned Hudson Chocolates in New York and worked at both The French Laundry and Bouchon Bakery as executive pastry chef. Prior to joining the Modernist Cuisine team, Migoya was a professor at the Culinary Institute of America, where his areas of instruction included bread, viennoiserie, pastry and culinary science. Migoya’s book The Elements of Dessert (John Wiley & Sons, 2012), won a 2014 International Association of Culinary Professionals Cookbook Award in the Professional Kitchens category.
One day at the Canadian Pizza Summit West gets you:
- A month’s worth of trend research all in one place!
- The chance to compete in Snow Cap’s Innovation Centre or watch the competitors up close and through remote television on the trade show floor!
- Pizza-focused sponsors and exhibitors to listen and help you improve your product and find solutions to your challenges!
- The perfect place to talk shop (or sports or family) with pizzerias just like yours!
- An informative talk by head chef and co-author of Modernist Pizza Francisco Migoya on “Pizza: From Past to Present” and sharing of techniques you can use to improve and innovate your pizza!
- Random drawing to win a Modernist Pizza book set – every attendee has a chance to win!